Monday, December 21, 2015

What I Read This Week 12/21

Bad Pirate by Kari-Lynn Winters

I really liked the dogs as pirates in this story. The illustrations with all the different dog breeds are extremely detailed. I think dog and pirate lovers alike will enjoy this one. Plus, pirate sound effects are always fun.

The Wonder by Faye Hanson


I love the contrast between regular illustrations and the boy’s daydreams and it would make a great bedtime story. It is perfect for imaginative kids and daydreamers but the detail on the wordless pages is so amazing that I think all kids would enjoy it.

Big Rig by Jamie A. Swenson

This book is perfect for kids who have worn out the I Stink! books. I thought it was just a regular truck book but I love how many sound effects you can throw in and I especially love the truck-tionary in the back.

Simon’s New Bed by Christian Trimmer

This book is similar to a series by Carter Goodrich which began with Say Hello to Zorro! It has really fun illustrations and dog and cat lovers will both enjoy it.

That’s How! by Christoph Niemann

This book is so wonderful and imaginative. It is probably better in small groups or one-on-one but I think every child will find this book hilarious. When reading out loud, you can ask kids how they think the things in the story work and I bet you'll get some pretty funny answers.

How to Catch Santa by Jean Reagan

This is a very silly book, perfect for December storytimes or bedtime stories. Kids will love coming up with their own Santa trap plans and laughing at the goofy illustrations.

Dear Santa, Love, Rachel Rosenstein by Amanda Peet and Andrea Troyer

This is a wonderful story for kids of any faith who don’t celebrate Christmas. It normalizes the difficult feelings of being left out and could help parents explain why their family does things differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...