Friday, April 13, 2018

What I Read This Week 4/13/2018

I've been making an effort to catch most new picture books (and some early to middle grade graphic novels) as they come out, so I thought I would revive What I Read This Week as a weekly roundup of what new things I've read recently. Here's this week:


Hannah Harrison has written my #1 favorite picture book (Extraordinary Jane) and every single one of her books has the most amazing level of detail. Friends Stick Together includes touches like a kangaroo teacher who keeps school supplies in her pocket and a penguin who brings a juice box labeled "salt water" for lunch. These details only add to a sweet story about two new friends learning to appreciate each other.


Another sweet friendship story, this time a graphic novel about two sloths with two very different ideas about adventure. Although the two sloths meet other new friends along their journeys, they remain BSFF (Best Sloth Friends Forever).


Sometimes if you give new things a chance, they might end up finding they're not so strange after all. Perfect for animal fans, silly story fans, and anyone who appreciates simple but perfect illustrations.


I thought this was a really good follow up to the original. The illustrations are still very sweet and I appreciated the variety of women profiled, both professionally (scientists, artists, etc.) and personally (different countries of origin, ages, physical abilities, and more).


This one is not actually new (2015) but I just discovered the sequel to William and the Missing Masterpiece, which is another one of my favorites (and usually a big hit at preschool storytime). The humor will probably go over younger storytimers' heads, but my 4 and 5 year olds liked looking through the detailed illustrations to find clues along with William.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...