Thursday, August 13, 2015

What I Read This Week 8/14

Vampires Don't Wear Polka Dots by Debbie Dadey and Marcia Thornton Jones

I loved this series as a kid, so I decided to re-read a few. They are just as silly as I remember and not as dated as I thought they might be. There was one book about the kids thinking their school librarian was a wizard because he could find books on the computer, but other than that (and the covers, unfortunately) they seem pretty timeless. I think they're more silly than frightening so a higher level younger child would enjoy them. I think they would be great for kids with a sense of humor and imagination.
3.8 (K-3rd)/M (2nd-5th)/600L


43 Old Cemetery Road: Dying to Meet You by Kate Klise

I can't believe I had never heard of this series. Kate Klise's book Letters From Camp was probably my favorite chapter book in elementary school and this series' style is very similar. It's told all through letters, notes, and illustrations which I think is very appealing to the elementary age group. I do think it would be a little immature for middle schoolers, unless they especially like silly rather than scary type stories. I think it would be great for any kids who like silly/scary stories as well as ones told through notes.
4.9 (4th-8th)/U (3rd-5th)/730L (8-11 years)


Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell

Even if I didn't already love Jane Goodall, I would love this book. The illustrations are very detailed and would appeal to kids who are also fascinated by animals. I think it would be a great bedtime story as it's very simple and calm.
3.2 (K-3rd)/L (K-3rd)/AD740L (5-8 years)


Underwater Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta

My library just got a stack of alphabet books by this author and I love them all. I especially enjoy how you could ignore the extra information and read it as a simple alphabet book because the illustrations are that good. It is great for all kids though--there are plenty of facts to keep older kids happy.
3.8 (K-3rd)/O (K-2nd)/590L


Night Animals by Gianna Marino

Very silly book about nocturnal animals. I love how detailed the illustrations are. It would make a great read aloud for storytimes because kids will love responding to it while you read. I think kids who like unusual animals will also enjoy it, as well as kids who might be nervous about the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...