Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Little Scientists: Fall Fun

This was one of my favorite Little Scientist programs in a while. The end of Summer Reading Club is a great time for me to take a step back and evaluate what has been working (or could be working better) with my programs. As always, this was a 30 minute program for 2-5 year olds and their caregivers. Here are  the stations we explored:

Leaf rubbing was a big hit- I found that real leaves worked MUCH better than the silk ones we used for other activities and it was fun comparing the differences between regular printer paper and parchment paper.


Leaf sorting by color was made very easy by a variety pack of silk leaves. I had planned on using real leaves for this activity, but didn't think about leaves not really changing colors in my neck of the woods for another month or so. Silk worked just fine though!


I found this number puzzle on Teachers Pay Teachers and promptly lost the name of the creator. A similar one can be found here.


I thought of this monster dice game because a parent at my preschool storytime mentioned his daughter having trouble with reading numbers from dice. 


This one was a hit- I gathered different fall objects (little pumpkins, acorns, berries, leaves, etc.) and we guessed which would sink and which would float. Then we tested our guesses!


We used our math cubes to measure how tall different pumpkins were. For the older kids, they could also use a piece of yarn to wrap around the pumpkins and use the cubes to measure the length of the yarn. This way they could guess if the pumpkins were taller or bigger around.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...