Thursday, September 17, 2015

What I Read This Week 9/18

None of the picture books I read this week are especially new, but with the craziness leading up to our first week back to story times, I decided to revisit some of my favorites.

Warning: Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt
The infants in my story times would probably not get the humor of this story, but I think it would be a huge hit for the 3-5 year old group. Any book with monkeys being silly and encouraging kids to shout at the book would be popular.

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch
One of personal favorites and this year's Halloween costume. I always love an off-beat fairy tale with an independent princess and this is perfect. I don't want to ruin the ending of this wonderful story, but the last two lines might be my favorite in any picture book I've ever read. It's a great one for story times or reading together and the princess lovers and princess-adverse will all love it.
3.8 (K-3rd)/K (K-2nd)/AD740L (5-9 years)

Flight School by Lita Judge
This is a great picture book because it can be read either as a silly book with fun illustrations, or it can be used to teach a lesson about achieving goals and helping others achieve their goals. It would help if kids know that penguins can't usually fly, but I think all kids would enjoy this one no matter what.
2.1 (K-3rd)/AD420L (5-7 years)

Cinder Edna by Ellen Jackson
I honestly can't remember the last time I got this much amusement out of a picture book. Have you ever laughed at loud at work so much that your coworkers really start to wonder about you? That is me with this book every single time I read it. It would be great for kids who liked The Paper Bag Princess as it has the same anti-regular fairy tale them. This one in particular is about Cinderella's much more sensible neighbor, Cinder Edna. She rides the bus and buys her ball gown on layaway. I think kids and adults alike will love this one. Or I hope they do, because I recommend it to all the library patrons I can manage.
4.5 (K-3rd)/N (3rd-5th)/AD610L

Tea Rex by Molly Idle
My favorite part about this book is how the text is very matter of fact, never mentioning that the tea party guest is a dinosaur, but all the illustrations are so silly. I think it's great for tea party lovers as well as dinosaur lovers. And if this one is well received, the author has also written Camp Rex and Sea Rex.
3.0 (K-3rd)

Lost and Found by Oliver Jeffers
Just like Flight School above, this is one of those picture books that can be used to teach a lesson or it could just be a really fun picture book to read on its own. I love the unusual illustrations and the simple text makes it great for story times and bed time stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...