Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What I Read This Week 9/4

Terrible Typhoid Mary by Susan Campbell Bartoletti
I'm really enjoying this new wave of YA non-fiction including this title and The Family Romanov by Candace Fleming from last summer. It has much more accessible language than an adult non-fiction book so it's a lot less intimidating. Even as an adult who reads a lot of non-fiction, it was nice to give my brain a break with this one.
7.2 (4th-8th)/980L (11-13 years)

Orion and the Dark by Emma Yarlett
This would be a great book for kids who are afraid of anything, not just the dark, as well as kids who have no particular fears. The illustrations are so complex and lovely and I'm an especially big fan of the cut out type pages. I think you could skip the smaller asides on the pages and it would make a great read aloud but it would also make a great bed time story.

Anna Banana and the Chocolate Explosion! by Dominique Roques
Cut little story. I like that a lot of the illustrations look like a comic book or graphic novel. I think it would make a nice bedtime story but the illustrations might be too detailed for a storytime.

Pepper and Poe by Frann Preston-Gannon
This story reminds me a lot of Meet Zorro by Carter Goodrich, but for the cat lovers. The black background on the pages is really different. I think this would be good for reading aloud and alone as well as for soon-to-be or new older siblings.

Worst In Show by William Bee
Really cute for any kid, whether or not the have a pet. Kids will love the silly humor and imagination (not to mention the fart jokes). It illustrations are very detailed, but with some amendment I think it would make a great book for storytime.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...