Friday, December 15, 2017

Nursery Rhyme Science Time: Spiders & Webs

This was the first in my new series of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) themed programs for 2-5 year olds. We started with reading Walter's Wonderful Web by Tim Hopgood (which is a fantastic book about spider webs and shapes) and singing the Itsy Bitsy Spider. Then we broke up into a few different stations, as pictured below. I tried to make the stations a good mix of math, science experiments, and art. For my upcoming sessions, I'd really like to add in some more of the technology and engineering aspects of STEAM.





Our craft- kids glued 8 "legs" onto the toilet paper tube "spider". When the string is threaded through the holes in the tube and kids pull the strings apart, their spider jumps!

* I cannot for the life of me find a link to the website where I found this idea, so please let me know if it look familiar to you!



Building Walter's web- to add onto the geometry theme of our story
Shapes printables from Pastels and Macarons

Over the Summer I attended a lecture on the importance of incorporating math into storytimes and programming. One thing that really stuck with me was how often kids get to Kindergarten with no knowledge of some foundational math concepts like ten frames. This was a fun game to address that.

*I made these spider web ten frames myself, but found the blank ten frame on Math Wire


I made this spider web with tape on a tabletop. Some strips were sticky side up and some were sticky side down, to mimic the strands of a spider web. 


Kids had fun playing with these spider math games, especially the younger visitors.

*Again, I can't find the link to these printables, so please let me know if you've seen them around!


The idea for this one came from the website Buggy and Buddy 







A sign I put up near our "take the learning home" station. I've since updated to be theme-neutral and laminated it so I can use it at future sessions.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...